Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Volunteer Reflections...


It’s been an amazing year! 

It goes without saying that we couldn’t have done it without all the wonderful volunteers who gave their time, talents, and resources so selflessly to make this year’s missions possible. In 2012, PULSE global health teams set out to 4 corners of the world. Upon their return, these were their reflections...



I was privileged to be asked to join the PULSE mission to Nepal in March this year. This mission involved teaching pediatric trained physicians to provide critical care services to children in Nepal. Although there are many very well trained pediatricians in Nepal, there are very few pediatricians who can provide lifesaving services to children who are critically ill.


I was both thrilled and apprehensive at the prospect of being part of the mission. But once we arrived in Kathmandu I was made to feel comfortable by their 
friendship towards us and eagerness to learn from us. The group of trainees that we interacted with came from different regions of Nepal, and represented various health care systems in Nepal. 



The enthusiasm demonstrated by the people we trained was tremendous. They were keen to learn and worked very hard to achieve skills that they could use in their day-to-day work caring for the children of Nepal.




I feel that this mission had a significant effect on me. It has made me think of the global health care issues facing children all over the world and the contributions I can make.



It has made me think of ways I can influence others in my profession to contribute towards health care for children in the rest of the world. I am grateful to PULSE for providing this opportunity and hope they will consider including me in their future missions.


                   

At the end of the mission, I felt that the five days I had spent in Nepal had been the most fulfilling and satisfying experience 
of my professional life.






Suresh Havalad, MD, is Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, IL and Division Director of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine at Advocate Lutheran General Children’s Hospital in Park Ridge, Illinois, USA




*To join our global health teams in 2013, please send an application request to volunteers@pulsenow.org or fill an online application and click to register your annual subscription.We look forward to working with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment